I’ve finally finished my Burna Bommer. I must have started this about 7 years ago. When I built it I did a little diorama on the base and got as far as painting the NMM shades on the pilot. It then went in a box for the best part of a decade. After finishing the Grand Annulus over lockdown I was really in hobby turbo mode and so tried to tackle a few of the projects that for whatever reason had been abandoned halfway through. The spark that reignited my interest in this project was seeing how Brad Glover created the smoke plumes for his amazing Skaven army. That was me sold then, I wanted the Burna Bommer to have great big smoke trails coming out of it. Very Orky.
For the base I wanted a little diorama. It’s a Burna Bommer so wanted to give the feeling the whole thing could gut up any second. This guy is carrying some fuel that is leaking out and has formed a trail and a pool leading to the fuel cannister. Also carries a grenade…
On the otherside of the base there a grot doing target practice. The target is what I thought the grot might consider his enemy, the squig hound. I did consider a cartoony ultramarine but I’m happy with this. Once again it’s a fuel cannister the target is attached to, luckily he has narrowly missed. His buddy is sorting the ammo and has an eye patch, possibly from a stray shot that neither of them has learned their lesson form.
Heres a close up of the smoke. It’s autumn flock stuck to a piece of sprue, lots of super glue on this thing makes it pretty strudy. As I said this was Brad Glover’s idea and he uses it all the time on his very impressive Skaven Army. When I saw his tutorial I remebered the Burna Bommer and pretty much got this project on the go again straight away. The only difference I make to his smoke is I left a bit of colour showing through to give the impression of flames.
For the paint job I had had some success with Turqouise for my Deathskulls before and with a white flame motif. So that was going on there. I’m also really amazed by the Deathskulls in the Forgeworld book Raid on Kastorel Novem. The artwork is beutiful and they have a very layered and graffiti’d look about them which I haven’t seen anyone attempt on the actual models. So I wanted to get that faded, layered, chaotic feel.
Most of the battle damage was me painting a thin layer of paint and wiping some of it off again with a damp cloth. I think it’s quite an effective method and it’s certainly quick.
The red and yellow flames are totally inspired by the FW artwork. The orks spraying the flames on with rattle cans. I gave a go at this with a brush. There’s probably a better way but I think it conveys the idea anyway.
That’s the Burna Bommer. From a hobby point of view it was very satisfying getting this model finished after so long. I was also very fortunate that I was clearly trying my hardest to do a good the first time around so it was all useable. I’ve even ahd a few games with this against my fellow bloggers, it’s performed very well. I’ve not even crashed it into anything yet!
It’s been awhile since I blogged, it feels good to do it. I love hobby blogs so will try and write more often. I’ve now got a little backlog of projects to write about.