For this post I’m going to cover an aspect of the Nurgle Knight that I didn’t expect to gain so much attention that’s very quick, easy and clean. In addition I’m going to cover a bit of what I did on the base too.
In fact lets start with that. This was a very different kind of Knight to the Khornate Knight I made. with that one I wanted it to look terrifyingly aggressive and fast, sprinting into combat. This one is Nurgle, so I wanted it to look very lumbering. That meant both feet on the floor, but both feet on the same flat plane, level with the table always looks a bit rubbish unless standing on some sort of structure. So I gut the feet of the knight and started positioning them unevenly, which included gutting way a slice from one foot to sink it in the ground. Then I started gluing the thighs on the knight and carefully offered them up to the knees so that it would be in approximately the right place and I could leave the upper legs to set. This was also a good way to gauge how to place the rest of the textures on the base. I marked these positions with a pencil then got on with the texturing.
So here you can see where I used foam board to make the edges of the crater then made a mixture of polyfiller and PVA glue to coat oaver the whole thing to give it more of a stone like texture. This also had the cool side effect of creating cracks around the rock and crater which was unexpected but then I went out of my way to preserve later.
Next layer of texture was for me to throw down some basing material and bits of metal, just to break up the uniform texture. I also added a broken pipe to the crater to give Krakendoomcool the opportunity to do some cool water effects like he did with his helbrute.
Lastly I got some mushrooms from the bases of some squig hoppers that Im making a bloodbowl team out of and added those to the crater. You see I wanted it to look like a crater that had been blown open prior to the knights arrival, but it kept looking to me like the crater was meant to have been made by the knights foot… and worse still was it looked like I had accidentally put his foot in the wrong place for that. I put mushrooms around the crater in the hope that it would add some age to it and demonstrate that it hadn’t JUST been made by the foot. With hindsight, maybe I should have had the foot crushing the edge of the crater, but then that might have made potential water effects harder without the well defined border. Anyway, the finished thing looked much like this but with some more mushrooms I think.
So, thing I was asked about quite a lot, the expanding foam. I covered this a bit in the main post with the finished model but without the details. I explained how I had seen people use expanding foam to make a cool looking Nurgle helbrute and decided I wanted to use this as a method for bulking flesh on the knight. I asked a few other people who were very familiar with Nurgle conversions what they thought about using expanding foam and they said in no uncertain terms “STAY AWAY FROM IT” on the grounds it was difficult to control and a nightmare to remove.
Unwilling to be swayed I had a think and had the idea of preforming some lumps of expanding foam for me to then pick and choose from to add to the model.
So those were some of my experiments with the expanding foam, some I did on a flat surface, others I pumped the foam straight onto the paper while it was pegged to a piece of string. by using a cocktail stick or wooden skewer you can create folds or pocked surfaces in the expanding foam. Granted, as I was told, this is very difficult to control, I couldn’t really repeat any sort of shape with reliable accuracy, but that was the whole point of this in the first place. I did loads then selected the ones that fit the model best but just offering them up and then cutting bits out of the back of them so they would conform to the surfaces I wanted to glue them too. they wouldn’t fit perfectly but I planned to gap fill with Milliput.
After the initial gap filling I had to do some more significant gap filling, which I did with some very rough shapes with Milliput. Content in the knowledge that these things may later be covered up or changed later, I just wanted to hide the holes and get an idea of how the over all shape would look.
As you can see from this final picture as you start building up around it, it looks quite good. You can see where I had to repair a little broken piece with green stuff here but on the whole its reasonably sturdy, light and a lot cheaper than bulking with some sculpting material. You can also cut into it quite well, you can see here how I embedded some fuel tanks in the back of it.
That’t about it for this post, if you have any questions then please do ask, we love hearing from people in the comments, its really exciting to share ideas with everyone. I’m really happy with how well this worked out, my only real concern I wasn’t able to answer, is how well all the different materials blend into one another when painted. The expanding foam looks like it has a texture to it as its made of lots of tiny bubbles, maybe it will have subtle scaly texture to it… or, that might be an optical illusion seeing the bubbles through a smooth but slightly transparent surface! I wont know until it gets painted really and then we can learn from that. I don’t think it would be hard to ad some texture to the skin but it would be nice to not have to.
~Pandora’s Bitz Box~